GLUTEN FREE PECAN PIE
Serves: 1 9-inch Pie Author: Megan, Allergy Free Alaska
- 1 Unbaked Wholly Wholesome GF Pie Crust
- 1 cup organic coconut sugar (or palm sugar, or coconut palm sugar)
- 3/4 cup pure Field Day maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter, melted and cooled
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups raw pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees (F).
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the organic coconut sugar, pure maple syrup, vegan butter, eggs, sea salt, and vanilla extract. Stir in the raw pecan halves.
- Pour the filling into the prepared unbaked pie shell and place the pie on a large baking sheet (just in case the pie spills over). Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees (F). Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees (F) and bake for an additional 30 minutes. The pie is completely cooked through when the top is deep golden and filling doesn’t jiggle. The filling may puff up during baking. If this happens, don’t be alarmed. It will settle as it cools. Place on a wire rack to cool. Cool completely before serving.
If you can’t have vegan butter of any kind, I’m sure coconut oil would work out well as a substitute.
Some like to toast their pecans prior to assembling their pecan pie. Please, PLEASE do NOT do that with this recipe, as the baking time is long enough to toast the pecans. If you toast the pecans beforehand, they will burn while baking.